Sms marketing (also known as text marketing) can be an effective way of achieving your marketing goals. The best brands use text message marketing to connect with their subscribers, share promotions, and deliver mobile alerts.
SMS Marketing gives them a direct line of communication with their customers, which is extremely valuable when implemented properly. Even with videos, reels, and GIFs taking up a large percentage the content landscape, text marketing remains extremely popular. In fact, 70% of customers subscribe to text marketing messages.
But what is it that sets text marketing apart from other marketing tools? In this blog, we will talk about why SMS marketing has become so popular and what are the best practices you can adopt for your business.
The Benefits of SMS Marketing
- Direct and Instant Delivery – Texts are one of the most immediate marketing channels. They also help you connect directly with your customers, increasing the likelihood of swift responses. 95% of text messages are opened and replied to within 3 minutes of delivery.
Time-sensitive messages can be delivered instantly, allowing you to deliver relevant and urgent messages to your customers. For example, if you run an e-commerce business you can let customers know about a limited time sale or send them a promo code with a link to your online storefront.
- High Open Rate – Users are always on their mobile devices and frequently communicate using texts. Which is why marketing text messages have a higher open rate of 98% compared to emails with an open rate of 20%.
- Higher Conversion Rate – CTAs in text messages also drive higher conversions. With no images or wordy clutter, the CTA and message in texts are clear and concise, leading to higher response rates. 45% of messages are responded to versus an email response rate of 8%.
- Personalization and Customization – Since text messages go directly to your customer’s inbox, they are a more personal means of communication. Formal sales language can be replaced with casual tones as if you are talking to a friend. This develops a deeper and more emotional connection with your customers, building loyalty. Of course, only go the informal route if it fits within your brand’s messaging style.
- Cost-effective – Compared to other marketing campaigns and efforts, SMS marketing is relatively inexpensive. With high open and conversion rates, text marketing offers a higher return on investment, making it a cost-effective component of your marketing strategy.
- No Spam – Email marketing attempts can often get lost in your target audience’s spam filter, whereas SMS marketing typically won’t. Once customers opt-in, they are sure to get your marketing messages, because there is no chance of it being sent to their spam folder.
- Quick Feedback from Customers – You can strategically use text marketing to receive instantaneous feedback from customers. Using polls and surveys, you can understand the preferences of your customers, market trends, and the voice of the users much better.The Dos and Don’ts of Text Marketing
- Get Permission – For you to text a customer, you need their permission. Getting this isn’t easy, but you can ask customers to opt-in in creative ways. Use pop-ups on your website or add a checkbox when customers are checking out products from your site. In-store, you can use QR codes that lead to opt-in screens or surveys to get consent.
- Clear and Concise Messages -Texts are for short and to-the-point messages. Longer messages get ignored as most people do not wish to read a wall of text on their phones. Your SMS marketing message needs to have brevity and efficiency for it to be effective.
- Get a Brand-Friendly Short Code – A short code is a 5 or 6-digit phone number used for commercial or mass mobile communication. An affiliated brand code increases credibility, has a shorter delivery time, and enables customers to recognize you in their inbox.
- Carry the Conversation in Real Time – Texting someone invokes a real-time connection which can be incredibly useful for brands. When you send any messages to your customers that lead to responses, you should have an autoresponder to immediately carry the conversation with personalized replies.
- Find out What Works – Great marketers know how to maximize their ROI. With SMS as a convenient and effective marketing strategy, you should know how your campaign benefits your brand and what’s working for you. Identifying key practices sets you up for future success.
- Send Unwanted Texts – Promotional texts are unwelcome when you haven’t consented to receive them. It’s always best to gain consent before messaging a potential customer. Otherwise, they might believe your message is fraudulent which hurts your brand reputation. Also, make sure that you are not reaching out to opted-out customers. Your SMS marketing efforts need to comply with all state and local regulations as well as the carrier’s messaging policies.
- Not Allowing an Opt-in or Opt-out – You should allow customers to opt-in to receive marketing messages, promotions, and exclusive deals by seeking permission in your texts. Customers can respond with a keyword or your registered short code to register their consent through a double opt-in. Similarly, you need to make it easy for customers to unsubscribe to promotional messages from your end by allowing them to opt-out.
- Not Having a Strategy – SMS marketing is all about low costs and high conversion rates. But it will only work if you have a solid strategy in place. Identify your audience, timing, and quantity, as well as the content of your messages before you launch your campaign. Partner with SMS marketing experts to develop a game plan.
- Sending Untimely Messages – Texting during quiet hours can displease your customers, tarnishing your brand image. Comply with the TCPA guidelines of not sending messages before 8 am and after 9 pm. Your system should also cater to time zone differences ensuring no customers are disturbed.
- Using Multiple Random Numbers – Use one short code to send messages to customers. Using multiple random numbers will annoy and confuse your customers, and can also lead to you being blocked from sending messages in the future.
SMS marketing is widely used today across industries. With the right strategy, you can reach your audience personally and forge a deeper connection with each customer.
If you are new to the world of SMS marketing, partner up with J Arthur & Co. We specialize in web and marketing services, particularly in SMS marketing, and can help you create a winning strategy and campaign, setting you up for a successful SMS marketing launch.
We’ve worked with multiple businesses across various industries helping them with their web and mobile presence. Connect with us today to find out how we can help you!