It has been projected that by 2027, the demand for project managers will have increased by 33% since 2018. In addition, about 88 million people around the world will hold job roles that are project-oriented.
What is digital project management?
Digital project management is the process of managing online projects from the very beginning all the way to the completion, while keeping the client’s needs and budget in mind. The projects that digital project managers come across include the creation and maintenance of websites, mobile apps, games, e-commerce, and SEO. Other projects can also include managing and planning events, social media and digital advertisements.
The main roles that digital project managers have include:
- Managing project scopes
- Creating agendas for meetings
- Gathering notes from meetings
- Assigning tasks and deadlines
- Scheduling project meetings
- Leading project meetings
- Making sure team members are staying on task and on schedule
- Monitoring the schedules and budgets for projects
- QA deliverables
- Building project reports
- Evaluating overall project success
Digital project managers hold a large role in project completion. There are skills that digital project managers should have to make sure that they match their importance in outputting a project. Skills digital project managers should have consist of:
- Understanding HTML/CSS
- Social media
- File transfer protocol (FTP)
- Reading analytics
- Strong attention to detail
- Formal project management methods (ex: scrum, agile and waterfall)
- Relationship building
- Knowledge of content management systems (ex: WordPress)
- Understanding of tech and marketing lingo
The Key to Being an Effective Digital Project Manager
In order to be an effective digital project manager it is important to have a good understanding on what the job role consists of. Next, it is important to be aware of what skills you do have in relation to being a digital project manager. If there are skills that can be improved on or obtained, research how and set goals to achieve the skills. It is essential that digital project managers understand the roles of all the team members and have a basic knowledge on how they complete their tasks. Overall, being an effective digital project manager does not just only consist of being good at keeping track of timelines and finances; there are so many more jobs that go along with the role.